Well it was either that title or "The Bugs of Summer" which put Don Henley singing in my head. Why am I finally going outside and taking photos now that it's 90 degrees and mosquitoes have been waiting and reading the menu? I don't know, but I'm certainly glad I braved the heat this morning: I noticed a good-sized robber fly perched in trumpet vine foliage. I dashed in to get my camera and 400mm lens. The large insect had changed positions when I returned - He had nabbed what looked like a European paper wasp (yeah!) I focused my camera and attempted to take a photo, but all that happened was "beep, beep, beep!" My shutter wouldn't release. After a few failed attempts and some cursing which thankfully was drowned out by kids screaming in the pool next door, I realized I must have accidentally pushed the shutter delay button. (And now I think I should read my camera manual, four years late.) Once I composed myself the robber fly and prey were nowhere to be found. But I am happy this awesome hunter is around our yard and feasting!

These photos are of a similar robber fly,
Diogmites neoternatus, who took a swim in our pool two years ago. (Use Baquacil pool chems, not chlorine) I netted this surprising two-inch creature from the water and placed it in a pot, thinking it was dead. Later I was startled to see it sitting next to me on the deck. (I thought the slouched posture was a hangover from drinking swimming pool water, but turns out they always look like that.)
No comments:
Post a Comment