Saturday, August 29, 2009

Beauty is in the Eye of the Hoarder?

Here’s one little critter whose camouflage fooled me: a small orb weaver spider sometimes called “Trashline Orbweaver," genus Cyclosa (turbinata species?). I had ignored these small webs for I don’t know how long because they appear abandoned, displaying only a string of debris, (which also looks like small bird droppings.) Recently I was gazing out from my trusty deck lounger and saw the center of one such string of detritus dart out and make an adjustment - or maybe a catch - and in the next instant was back in line, blending completely. The web decorations, or "stabilimenta" (Why do I want to say that word with an Italian accent?) of these spiders are made with leftover bug parts, and also the spiders’ egg sacs, for camouflage or possibly to attract more bric-a-brac snacks (flies and mosquitoes, I hope.)
I dislike the name Trash-line because I now adore these nifty arrangements. Can we call them “Recycling Line Spiders”?


No comments: